A brief history of 1952 Austin A40 Sports OYC 417
Austin A40 Sports Reg. OYC 471 was discovered by David Whyley, the present owner, in 1995. The car had been rallied in the mid 1950’s by the previous owner David Leveridge and competed in numerous local rallies including a run to Le Mans.
Given this history, a decision was made to rebuild the car to the specification that you see today. The car has been rebuilt with as many period modifications that would have been fitted to rally cars of the mid 1950’s. This includes; Stage one engine tuning, period Woodhead Monroe telescopic front damper conversion, rare ALFIN brake drums, and of course wire wheels.
The restoration took 10 years and was completed in 2009. All the work (Including painting) was carried out by the current owner, except for engine machining, chroming, the hood and some upholstery. The A40 Sports bodywork is complex and consists of a steel inner tub covered by aluminium panels. This all sits on a separate modified A40 chassis.
Of just under 4000 built between 1950 and 1953 less than 80 survive worldwide; with fewer than 30 in roadworthy condition. In a tribute to Alan Hess and his team who drove a similar car around the world in 21 days in 1951, OYC 417 wears a replica of the Austin around the world team logo.
This Austin A40 Sports is a rare car which has been featured in numerous magazine articles.